We began our study with questions
like: "Is there a God?"
"Is Christianity credible?"
"Is it reasonable to believe the Bible?"
We've been studying evidence which should lead us to an
emphatic "YES" answer to each of these questions.
We admit that believers have some serious questions to
answer, and we've tried to answer them in a logical and rational
way. But unbelievers
have some serious questions to answer, too, and we want to look at
some of these in this lesson.
I DIDN'T BELIEVE THE BIBLE...
A. I would be curious about its survival.
1. The most recent books of the Bible are nearly 2000 years old.
Some are at least 3500 years old.
originals were on clay tablets, dried animal skins, or papyrus.
3. Copies had to be made by hand for thousands of years
before the invention of printing presses.
4. There were concerted efforts to destroy it.
5. Noting all of this, we see that it not only has survived,
but it has survived against incredible odds.
6. Manuscript studies also prove that we have a very
reliable copy of the original message, even after all of these
B. I would be surprised at its popularity.
1. Parts of the Bible have been translated into over 1700
2. It is annually on the best seller lists.
3. As a book it is known the world over.
4. The world's greatest art and literature are permeated
with allusions to and quotes from the Bible.
C. I would be at a loss to account for its freedom from
1. It is free from the
superstition and prejudice that was common in the time of its
2. It contains no
3. It is free of
4. There are no
D. I would be impressed with archaeological findings.
1. "The Bible is often surprisingly accurate in historical
particulars, more so than earlier generations of scholars ever
suspected" (Time Magazine, Dec. 30, 1974; p 34-41)
2. "A wave of archaeological discoveries is altering
old ideas about the roots of Christianity and Judaism - and
affirming that the Bible is more historically accurate than many
scholars thought." (U.
S. News and World Report, Aug. 24, 1981, p. 38-40).
E. I would be convinced by predictive prophecies.
1. The Bible contains literally thousands of prophecies.
2. All have come true - to the letter - with the exception,
of course, of prophecies related to the end of the world, etc.
F. I would
wonder why people died to get the message to me.
I DO BELIEVE! WHAT
A. Look at some examples of what believing men did in Bible
11:4 - "Abel offered"
- "Noah prepared"
- "Abraham obeyed"
- "Abraham offered up Isaac"
- "Moses chose . . . “
B. True faith has always produced obedience.
C. If you really believe you must act.
1. Repent - Luke
2. Confess your faith in Christ - Romans
3. Be Baptized - Mark
4. Live faithfully - Rev.
Yes, you can believe the Bible, and everything it
teaches. In fact,
there is no reasonable alternative.
to God in the church by Christ Jesus
Church of Christ